Thursday

Self-Cleaning Floors

Do you Roomba? Here's a video, in case you don't know what I'm talking about:



I have had no experience with automatic vacuum cleaners, but I would love to get comments from those of you who have.

When the Roomba first came out, I simply laughed. Back then, I didn't yet have a House that Cleans Itself and I knew such a thing could never work around here. After all, there's no way that a vacuum--any vacuum, automatic or not--could clean a floor if there's stuff everywhere, in the way.

Of course, that was then, this now. These days, my HTCI-friendly floors stay pretty clear most of the time, so perhaps I should reconsider.

So how about it? Do you have a Roomba? If so, do you like it? Why or why not?

1 comment:

  1. Pardon me if this response is not timely (I don't know the date of the post)... but I was wandering around after I finished reading "Elementary My Dear Watkins", and saw the Roomba question. Yes, we Roomba! My husband gave me a Roomba for Christmas probably 8 years ago, when our son was a toddler. I whined alot back then, and floors were one of the things that would send me cringing. Of course when I opened the package, I thought to myself "Hmmm, my husband bought me a robot for Christmas? Or is this a robot for himself?". What I didn't realize at the time was that he was giving me the gift of time. Time I could spend guilt-free playing with my son, or doing the bills... and my floors were getting swept every day. I can't tell you how many times I set the Roomba to run, then just left the house. I'd come home and move it downstairs to the kitchen, and only have to empty the little dutpan when it finished working. The funniest part is that our son named it "Dusty", and we still use Dusty about 7 or 8 years later. It fits under the bed, gets all the edges, and doesn't fall down the stairs. Also, unlike the new "mint", the Roomba doesn't need swiffers - it sweeps the dust/dirt into a little dust pan that's easy to empty. It picks up small dust, cat litter, small stones (from my driveway), cereal, sugar, heads from action figures... can you tell we love Dusty?

    ReplyDelete